Thursday 8 December 2016

Kinshuk Sadevera - Antilog Vacations Kashmir Review AVB0096853

The paradise on earth was on my radar for a long time. But the inevitable security concerns kept deterring me. However with improving harmony last month I decided to take my family - my wife, my son and my parents for a trip to the northernmost state of India. Travelling with family has always been more enjoyable for me as I rarely find time for them. But at the same time I wanted to plan my trip meticulously as my elderly parents were travelling. With the ever increasing e commerce travel portals, I decided to book my travel online through a new site. The website of Antilog Vacations gave me the best deal and I settled for it. Moreover the site also customized the package based on some of the must visit places on my list and helped plan the schedule based on my tight holiday calendar. Thus the resorts, air travels were booked and we set off on our Kashmir sojourn of 5 days and 6 nights.

We reached the Srinagar airport and as we descended to our hotel through our pre booked Qualis, I enquired with the driver about the Banihal Rail Tunnel which I had read about some weeks back. He said that a 100 mile railway line which is being built connected Baramulla to Srinagar and Qazigund. Across the Pir Panjal Mountains the line is expected to be complete by 2014 and would link Jammu to the Banihal rail tunnel and to the rest of India. The snow clad mountains mesmerized us through the windows and my son also pointed out the fact that this princely state shared its borders with 3 countries – Pakistan, Afghanistan and China other than India. The driver also remarked that more than the gunfire it was the Kashmir earthquake of 2005 which had hurt his family more as it had led to thousands of deaths in both the Pakistan controlled and Indian controlled parts of Kashmir.

As we reached the resort we crossed a number of fruit trees of apples, orchards, cherries, pears, and peaches. Eloquent deodar, chenar, birch and pine trees garlanded the valley beautifully. It is the milieu which sends your moods soaring. Antilog Vacations had arranged a picturesque stay– Heevan Resort nested by a host of mountains. The resort was close too and we reached there quickly. As we entered the concierge said that the railway station of Jammu was also quite near. The city center or Lal Chowk provided the bustling heart of the city with its shops and eateries and was just 10 kms from the hotel.

Antilog Vacations had booked our trip superbly as we found out when we went to one of India’s premier hill station – Gulmarg. Travelling in winter, our travel agency had also made arrangements for skiing there. My parents watched as we gave skiing a try. Though the slip and falls came thick and fast, the experience was one to savour. ☺ Our next destination at the confluence of the lidder and Sheshnag streams, Pahalgam too was a photographer’s delight. Thereafter we went to a place which was not often visited and hence retained its non commercialized charm adeptly. Verinag contained the glacier which gave birth to the Jhelum River and the deep blue water spring at the foothills was a mesmerizing sight. If you want a drive by the countryside Sonamarg, at the head of the Sindh Valley should be the place for you. Do make it a point to drop in at any of the roadside eateries for a delicious Kashmiri lunch or dinner. The hospitable nature of the natives was amazing and they eagerly wait for the tourists.

The penultimate day was reserved for Kashmir’s most distinctive landmark – The Dal Lake. Divided into four parts by causeways the ride on the Shikara boat was expectedly memorable. My mother particularly liked the Nagin Lake for its tranquility. Hari Parbat, Shankaracharya Temple, Mughal Gardens and the Shalimar and Nishat Bagh were other excellent getaways too. As we left my wife went on a shopping spree with Pashmina shawls, silk carpets, kurtas, and silver and pottery artifacts being on the list. A packet of saffron, the most expensive spice was our last purchase as we returned home from a really unforgettable trip. Memorable visit with the great efforts of Antilog Vacations team!

No comments:

Post a Comment